Motorboatyourself.com Forums
December 14, 2018, 08:00:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: MotorBoating T Shirts Now for sale

Home   Help Back to Motorboatyourself.com Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boom Baby  (Read 7890 times)
logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »

So this is my Boom Baby. I decided to build a top of the line cooler to cover a few different venues (Tailgating, Beach,Pool, Camping, and Floating the River)  Before anyone ask how I did this, I'm an ex Car Audio Fabricator. Everything was made from scratch.

The Break Down:

• Rubbermaid 50qt  Split lid cooler
  • (6) 6" kicker Marine Speakers
  • Aquatic AV  Bluetooth/USB Stereo (If you've never seen one they are awesome.)
  • (Built in) waterproof Charge
  • (Built in) Power Supplyv
  • Fuse Block
  • LED Controller
  • 34AH SLA Battery
  • 12v Acc Port
  • 12v USB Port

This cooler gets about 14 hours play time on full volume.
It weights a bit, but functional. It didn't take long (3weeks) before I had to upgrade the split wheels. It plugs directly into a 110volt to charge and play. It has interior and exterior LEDS. Back speakers switch on/off for 360 degree music. Stereo has a Waterproof/floating remote. I also control my music with my Pebble watch. Best of all it will hold about 3 cases of Beer. Ill let the pictures speak for itself.

So far its been on one camping trip, all weekend at the pool, weekend on the beach, and several TEXAS floating trips.

Check out the Youtube. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBs5DzeZGg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBs5DzeZGg</a>
Check it out @ "theBOOMbaby.com"

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:09:59 AM by logeox » Logged

camcamaro1991

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »

Very clean build, any more pics? What did you make the speaker rings out of? thinking about about making my own with 2 part resin, b/c acrylic cost too much and still show hot spots, even frost acrylic. I love my plastic LED rings for my WetSounds they just glow perfectly would never know there was LEDS behind the rings.

I just got a newer model Aquatic AV, and its seriously underpowered and limited for eq settings and the remote always seems to wear down the battery in like 1 minute and always throws the low battery on the remote (do you have this issue), I might use it as an interface but I could save space with a fusion Bluetooth and run a high end amp.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:31:56 PM by camcamaro1991 » Logged
Ayebeehm aka Doug
It's pronounced 'Cool-ah'!
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Very clean build man, I like it!

Bet you turn quite a few heads on the river.

Didn't look like the LED's were sound activated, or was that an option you went through and I missed it? Not that it matters, it more than makes up for having sound activated lights by all the other stuff you've got going on with it.

Oh, and lets not forget the bottle opener, however I have to say, if you're using the bottle opener on the river.. Bad. Bad boy.. Stop it.. No.. Glass + River = Bad.. Wink

Words of wisdom:
Measure Twice - Cut once!
Better to have more than you need, than not enough.
There is no such thing as a 'Cable Stretcher'!
Search the forums... If you're asking it now, someone else has asked it before you.
Knowledge is Power, but Knowledge isn't 12v.
logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »

I made the rings out of HDPE (Same stuff for cutting boards). They dont take any kind or adhesive well but will take Silicon and easy clean up. a Two part Epoxy worked well for bonding my wall to the plastic. I wanted a more glow effect than bright LEDS, these worked well. HDPE is usually half the cost of Acrylic. We have a local shop that sells plastics so I was able to get it 1/4 sheets.

I now have 4 of the Aquatic units. The one you see is for the iPhone. It gets very loud but I am using 2 ohm speakers to produce full wattage from the unit. I bought one of each of the newer units. I don't feel the quality is the same as my first unit. The unit you have we do seem to have battery draining problems with it. But I dont seem to have the same issue with my lower two units. I dont have any issue with my remote. You might wan to check with the manufacture on that one. Ive talked to those guys several times and they are great. It should shut off to reduce drain and re establish link on your first press.  I like the protection this unit has for cell phones but I am noticing the newer units get very hot inside. This may be due to them being mounted horizontally. For an iPhone this is a problem as it has a cut off sensor for over heating.

I have a ton of pics form the build but still haven't figured out how to a pic without it being an attachment.

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

@ Ayebeehm aka Doug

Agreed, No glass on the RIVER. We use that mainly for Camping and Tailgating. All the Caps fall into the cooler, no clean up.
The LED are Sound activated but I usually leave them on a preset called bloom. It looks good at night.

camcamaro1991

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

thanks logeox, I think I am going to still use a 2 part resin, this way I can make a silicone rubber mold and make the with a easy pour mold and no to little waste and include a grove to hold LED strips as well). I like the video of the leds, but IMO the HDPE is not transparent enough for me. I saw your facebook page nice colemans, here's my old coleman.  http://www.motorboatyourself.com/forum/index.php?topic=1542.0

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:45:43 PM by camcamaro1991 » Logged
logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

Nice work Camcamaro1. A two part resin will turn out nice.

FiremanJake

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

Awesome job!
jmueller216

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »

Very nice!  I'm constantly blown away by the things people on here create.  When I get compliments on mine, I always just think "man, you have no idea...".
the_chickeneye
Global Moderator

popo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:19:04 AM »

Great job good work with the fiberglass and the rings.  Where did you order your ipod housing and your 12v port and usb port's?

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »

Got the stereo from here. Just had an iPod in it for demo.

http://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo.com/html/64820.html

The accessories came from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U4ZZPK/ref=wl_mb_recs_1_title

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=344ILH9WZ4CB8&coliid=I11AKYIS5T7CS3
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:54:59 AM by logeox » Logged

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 07:03:44 AM »

Here is a link to my build page with photos and videos. Enjoy.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A8G6XBubAQJY0

camcamaro1991

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »

Hey chicken eye, this is where I got mine, honest good folks work there. However all the options, there is some flaws with the design and lack of power & EQ settings and the lack of SQ as well (I would be very surprised this is pushing more than 20 watts at 4 ohms) and the heat sink gets fairly hot, as Logex stated iPhones over heat fast when enclosed, I would imagine all phones are subject to this. The Bluetooth works well, the internal lighting is subpar, I need to get some videos and pics posted. And it appears my remote is on the fritz

It does have RCA outputs, so that's the route I am going, adding an external amp.

http://www.buy-marine.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=e5ludj5scqolftmk3ielgn29c6&keyword=Aquatic+av
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:36:04 AM by camcamaro1991 » Logged
thatguy662

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »

I was thinking about adding a switch that activates when you open the lid too for lights...what did you use for that?
Uh72pilot

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »

I like the usb/cigarette lighter gear. Looks really clean.

Do you know if they make something similar so I can recess my trickle charger cable with some kind of flip up lid?

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: