Motorboatyourself.com Forums
October 17, 2018, 09:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: MotorBoating T Shirts Now for sale

Home   Help Back to Motorboatyourself.com Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Crush  (Read 6821 times)
logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:39:48 AM »

This is one I threw together for customers.

Aquatic Av Stereo w/ Bluetooth and water proof remote.
12v power and charging port.
4 Boss speakers
24 ah SLA Battery
Cooler insert painted to match lid.

Pretty simple and clean build. Still needs a drain.

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »

Additional Photos.

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:29 AM »

Anyone got any suggestions for a drain to use on this build. Looks like a 1/2 OD tube will fit nice in the existing drain plug. This seems to be the only thing I can find.

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Aeration-and-Plumbing/Drain-Fittings/Cockpit-and-Deck-Drains/All-Purpose-Drains-Hatch-Drains

But it has a 3/4 Barb. I dont want to reduce it, if I dont have to.

the_chickeneye
Global Moderator

popo

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »

Where are you wanting to put the drain?

the_chickeneye
Global Moderator

popo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »

I do a lot of aquarium stuff also.  look for aquarium bulk head fittings like this.

http://alliedaqua.com/bulkhead-fitting-1-2-barbed.html?___store=default&___store=default&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmayfBRDo25CR9un4hvEBEiQAv9fBbfM7uj1cbcOMPljjyHbRBts5Q8QzBKlbPC3uDdbw7tQaApVL8P8HAQ

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »

Gonna mount in the bottom left corner and pipe it (with flexible hose) to existing drain.

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »

I think this will work perfectly. Im assuming it has some kind of rubber seal with it.

Snoball

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »

I really like the look of the inside. I see the screws around the tub area. Is it completely water proof around that seal? Can you share with us you did that?
Jcav226

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

That looks really nice, what did you/everyone use for these inserts? I've already started my first build but would like to incorporate one into my next one.

Thanks
camcamaro1991

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »

Looks great, good job.

How hot does the Aquatic AV get in there? Any issues shutting off for thermal reasons?
I called the guys from Aquatic AV they say they are voltage sensitive from 10.7 to 14.4 volts, which is the reason I had issues with testing. it will show low battery on the remote LCD.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:10:11 PM by camcamaro1991 » Logged
BVYKA

Email
Re:
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »

What's your selling price on something like this?

fizthashiz

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »

That is a clean-looking rig. Nice job. Is the insert an actual cooler or did you build it from scratch?
Uh72pilot

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:37 AM »

What's crazy is the fact that I haven't even built my first one and I am already thinking about future builds....

I know a lot of folks do a drop in cooler like this one to get a clean looking build with functionality that won't leak. There was talk about issues with condensation building on the bottom and sides of the drop in which would ultimately would cause that to drip on the bottom of the cooler/electronics. How do folks alleviate it? Can you scuff the exterior and use some spray foam to insulate it?

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!
logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »

I really like the look of the inside. I see the screws around the tub area. Is it completely water proof around that seal? Can you share with us you did that?

Yes, I sealed the small gaps where the insert touches the top before adding the trim ring to finish it off.

That looks really nice, what did you/everyone use for these inserts? I've already started my first build but would like to incorporate one into my next one.

Thanks

I used a clear plastic insert form Walmart. I doubled it up to create and air gap and protection for the paint I applied on the back side of the first insert. I recommend a small trashcan as that plastic is a bit thicker and less likely to flex. I also recommend these if they work for the size of your build. They are fiberglass (strong,durable, insulated).
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/tempress--access-hatch-liners--P024_720_003_515

Looks great, good job.

How hot does the Aquatic AV get in there? Any issues shutting off for thermal reasons?
I called the guys from Aquatic AV they say they are voltage sensitive from 10.7 to 14.4 volts, which is the reason I had issues with testing. it will show low battery on the remote LCD.

Ive had issues with the iphone shutting off but not the Aquatic AV. This is an iphone problem, It has an internal temp sensor set to max of 95. Shit it gets over 100 in Texas so the phones shut off in the sun by themselves. So its just something to deal with. It is a sealed enclosure to protect your phone with no air flow. Not really much you can do with that and still have it protected form the water. I also plan on adding a cover to the bottom of the lid. This will cover the electronics of the Aquatic AV and funnel the Heat up to a fan in the lid. I am still testing this option out before I add it to production.

What's your selling price on something like this?

600$ but as you can see I offer a few upgrades most don't.
  • Drink Insert
  • Battery gets about 10 hours
  • Waterproof Remote
  • Outside controls
  • Phone protection from water

What's crazy is the fact that I haven't even built my first one and I am already thinking about future builds....

I know a lot of folks do a drop in cooler like this one to get a clean looking build with functionality that won't leak. There was talk about issues with condensation building on the bottom and sides of the drop in which would ultimately would cause that to drip on the bottom of the cooler/electronics. How do folks alleviate it? Can you scuff the exterior and use some spray foam to insulate it?

See earlier comment.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:19:54 AM by logeox » Logged

logeox

logeox
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:40 AM »

I had to recess the outside of the trim ring to have it set flush with the top and cover the screws on the inside of the insert. I really dont have a pic of this. Just something you do with router. I did a hand drawing of the cross section. If it makes any sense.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: