Motorboatyourself.com Forums
October 23, 2017, 04:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: MotorBoating T Shirts Now for sale

Home   Help Back to Motorboatyourself.com Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neals Lodges on the Frio  (Read 4516 times)
Snoball

Email
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »

Just booked the Memorial weekend at Neal's. I've never been to the FRIO much less Neal's. Anyone have any comments about this place or the Frio?
Ayebeehm aka Doug
It's pronounced 'Cool-ah'!
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »

It's a pretty nice setup out there, while you're out there, set aside some time to go check out Garner State Park. If you're not opposed to doing some hiking, they have some badass trails out there to hike.

Be forewarned: The water at the Frio river lives up to its name. That water is sure to bring your voice up a couple of octaves until you get used to it. Best bet is to jump in all at once, instead of inching in. Trust me on this one.

Last year when we went, it was pretty dried up. The river wasn't flowing, you basically just had pools of water in between dry spots. This year has been far wetter than last year though, so it's likely flowing this time.

Words of wisdom:
Measure Twice - Cut once!
Better to have more than you need, than not enough.
There is no such thing as a 'Cable Stretcher'!
Search the forums... If you're asking it now, someone else has asked it before you.
Knowledge is Power, but Knowledge isn't 12v.
Snoball

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:47 AM »

Doug

Thanks for the heads up. I heard it is pretty cold but I am with ya on the "just jump in" remedy.  I talk to Neal's and they said its still pretty low unless more rain comes in between now and Memorial weekend. I have a feeling I will be just hanging at the river side with the wife, kids, and cooler.
Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:45:23 AM »

Chances are, you'll be next to the river bed. I'm not kidding when I said it was all dried up. We got lucky when we went, and our cabin was right next to a section that is kind of like a pond, so we could at least get in and get wet, but there was no floating Sad

This year, we're going to Arkansas, where I know for a fact the rivers are flowing. Our cabin is literally right on the river, 2 of the decks hang over it. Should be an awesome time.

If you don't mind the drive, http://caddoriver.com

We're staying in the Rivers Edge cabin.

Words of wisdom:
Search the forums... If you're asking it now, someone else has asked it before you.
Snoball

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »

That place looks awesome!!! If you need some company let me know! LOL
Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »

Hey, if you want to drive out and hang out with us, I have no problems with it. You might have to bring a tent, or grab some floor, but I'm not opposed to more people showing up.

We'll be out there Jun 12th through the 15th, so a Friday through Monday stay.

Words of wisdom:
Snoball

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »

Sunday morning at Neal's Lodge. Notice the concrete barriers that have either been pushed to the other side of the road or is missing.
Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:44:55 AM »

Damn Snoball, that's crazy. I think they put the concrete thing there to keep people from trying to drive across, I don't think it got pushed there.

Words of wisdom:
StreetShredder

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »

Wow, I'm glad you're alright Snoball, those rivers can get out of hand quick. How long was your stay there and how quickly do you think the water rose? Over here in College Station I saw streets turn to rivers and a few cars halfway underwater, but due to the drainage it didn't last but a few hours.

KCCO
Snoball

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:59 AM »

Damn Snoball, that's crazy. I think they put the concrete thing there to keep people from trying to drive across, I don't think it got pushed there.
Doug, no the river actually moved those barriers. A local officer was there "guarding" the road and talked to us. Said they were gonna have to go find the other ones that are missing and what a PITA it's going to be.

Wow, I'm glad you're alright Snoball, those rivers can get out of hand quick. How long was your stay there and how quickly do you think the water rose? Over here in College Station I saw streets turn to rivers and a few cars halfway underwater, but due to the drainage it didn't last but a few hours.
My stay was Friday through Monday. But we left Sunday when I saw this and Neal's said there was no chance of getting on the river this week. I can only hang out at the condo pool or Neal's Bar for so long with 3 kids. 2 of witch are my teenage daughters that are now in bikini's.
Snoball

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:38:03 AM »

Kind of pissed off a little though. all that money spent to get there. and get nothing but a cool video on my iPhone. I am so ready to float a river!! At least me and my family are safe. They had rescue helicopters running nonstop finding people stranded on the river and dropping them at Neal's Lodge. Some people are still missing.
Snoball

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

Well, I am gonna try Neals Lodge again for Labor day. Be there Sept 4th - 7th. Let me know if any one wants to meet up. I'll be there with the wife and 3 kids.
AltbierBrew

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »

I wish they have a gallery on their website. Frio river really looks inviting.
Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »

Frio is a very pretty river, it's super clear. In 10ft of water, it looks like it's only 2 inches deep. You can see every rock, plant, etc. If you drop your keys in the river, you'll have no problem finding them Cheesy

The river does live up to its name though, it's coooooo-ooooold.. At about 64 degrees year round, as it's spring fed. Late summer is when it's best to go to this river, when it's super hot outside and the water feels extra good.

Words of wisdom:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: