Motorboatyourself.com Forums
July 22, 2018, 03:52:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: MotorBoating T Shirts Now for sale

Home   Help Back to Motorboatyourself.com Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Cooler for Father-In-Law  (Read 1768 times)
briandye

This hobby is too damn expensive!

Email
« on: July 22, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

(Not engaged, or married for that matter, but still call them my in-law's)

He's always got music playing somewhere somehow around the house when he has people over, or outside for BBQ's, but its always some way-too-much-effort for what it is setups, like a TV soundbar sitting on the deck with a 50' extension cord running to the garage or something.

I decided I want to build him a nice but cheap little rig. Hes no audiophile by ANY means, if it makes noise he's happy, BUT at the same time, I think this could open me up to some business selling them, since he has a lot of coworkers and friends who'd see it and be interested in one of their own. So I do want decent gear, and although im thinking, just a dry build is fine; again, why not go over the edge and make it a functional cooler as well. Still undecided though, id like it to be small and easy to lug around, so im thinking of sticking with a dry build.

Nothing on wheels, just a small cube most likely. Don't know if I want a pair of 6.5" speakers or 6x9's. I want it to get loud, but without the weight of a 35ah battery, so probably an 8-12ah. I would "like" Bluetooth, but a standard aux jack would be fine. Might go with that Pyle Bluetooth amp I see around the forum a lot.

Will this cooler listed below fit a 6x9 on it? Since im going with the 4 channel, I might just go with 4 of the Pyle Marine 6.5" or maybe a little better brand. Doesn't have to be waterproof.

Igloo 14 Can Cube Cooler $18
http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Cooler-14-Can-Capacity-Ocean/dp/B0001AV5NK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437610106&sr=8-1&keywords=cube+cooler

Pyle Marine 1200w 4 Channel Bluetooth Amp (With controller) Cheaper than the 2 channel for some reason
*Does this amp have a power switch on the panel, or should I run a switch to it?
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMBT7S-Bluetooth-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00TZOAQOM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437610184&sr=8-3&keywords=pyle+bluetooth+2+channel+amp

Boss 6.5" 180w Black Marine Speakers (Pair) (X2)
http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-MR6B-180-watt-Coaxial/dp/B0072L5PIC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1437610297&sr=8-16&keywords=6.5%22+marine+speakers&pebp=1437610454288&perid=0SDTMNJ0RVGYH4CTRX1Z

12v 12AH SLA Battery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-12V-6V-18AH-12AH-10Ah-9AH-8AH-7-2AH-7AH-5AH-4-5AH-SLA-/151512649414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2346db8ec6

Schumacher 1.5a On Board Charger (Should do fine with a 12ah battery, right?)
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1-12S-CA-Automatic-Onboard-Battery/dp/B0000AXTUY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437611160&sr=8-3&keywords=on+board+charger+1+amp

And of course, the infamous Noco Plug
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-GCP1-Black-125V/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437611482&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+plug&pebp=1437611518466&perid=0BHS8DVPEZMM9VWRQ55E

What kind of run time would I be getting with that amp and a 12ah battery? A couple of hours at a good volume? (Not ever full blast most likely, more of a casual listening type level)

I plan on cutting into the interior lining to sink the battery and gear in, to help with airspace for the speakers.

Any suggestions/criticism are/is welcome. (This build will happen when the wagon is done! lol the wallet is recovering right now, still waiting to buy stuff to start the wagon)

With all this gear, its at about $170. Jesus this is an expensive hobby.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:38:25 PM by briandye » Logged

Ayebeehm aka Doug
It's pronounced 'Cool-ah'!
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »

Dude, seriously, just look at my "Baby Boomer" post I made about a month ago, it's perfect for what you're looking for. It sounds great, and it lasts a long time. It has Aux in and Bluetooth, and off an 8ah battery, I was able to run it all day long on the river without issue.

I'm sure it would be perfect for his needs. The only thing I would have done differently was put in 2way speakers, rather than the shit Pyle 6.5" "Dual Cone" models.

Not saying that Pyle is dogshit, just saying that the speakers I used could have been improved upon. They did sound pretty good considering, but when you've had a good rig, vs what I had for a standby, you learn real quick what "good" sounds like.

Words of wisdom:
Measure Twice - Cut once!
Better to have more than you need, than not enough.
There is no such thing as a 'Cable Stretcher'!
Search the forums... If you're asking it now, someone else has asked it before you.
Knowledge is Power, but Knowledge isn't 12v.
briandye

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »

Perfect example of what I want to build for him. I knew about that build too, can't believe it didn't come to mind for some reason  Huh Oh well.

I see you installed a switch on yours, so I'll be ordering a switch soon. If my cube has that same compartment on the lid, I'll probably put it in there. I'd like the controller on the outside though for easy access, then his phone can be tossed in there.

Might add a USB charging port as well for the phone. Oh and definitely only going with the 8ah battery. What are you using to charge yours? Don't think you mentioned that in the post.

What exactly is a dual cone speaker? Two separate speakers in one vs a typical two way tweeter and woofer design?

Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

Dual cone speaker is basically a regular speaker where the dust cap looks like a smaller speaker without a ring. I have an external charger that I use, if you look closely, you can see the charging terminals on the back.

Words of wisdom:
Search the forums... If you're asking it now, someone else has asked it before you.
briandye

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:19:47 AM »

Oh okay, I've seen those before. I didn't see the posts on yours, but if it were mine, that's probably what I'd do, but I want this thing to basically be fool proof/plug & play so I'll have the on board charger somehow squished in there. Gonna be interesting to build it since you said yours was already so tight.

Ayebeehm aka Doug
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:49:42 AM »

Oh okay, I've seen those before. I didn't see the posts on yours, but if it were mine, that's probably what I'd do, but I want this thing to basically be fool proof/plug & play so I'll have the on board charger somehow squished in there. Gonna be interesting to build it since you said yours was already so tight.

I could have included the charger in mine had I wanted to, but it would have been super duper tight. At the time, it was just a proof of concept build. Now that I've built it though, I probably would have put a smaller 1.5a charger in it for simplicity sake.

Words of wisdom:
j__dc

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »

Building one of these for the 1st time & using the exact same supplies.

I had the same question as to whether or not the Bluetooth panel had a power switch. Now that I know it does not, I will be running a switch to it. I checked out the Baby Boomer post and saw there was a power switch ran. Can someone let me know what the wiring schematic is for running the battery, to the switch, & pyle control panel? I may be over thinking it, but since I have the bluetooth panel want to make sure Im wiring everything correctly.

I did a search, & couldn't find anything related to this particular setup.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: